Holding Students Accountable

Students need to be held accountable for their work.  But how do you do it in a meaningful way?


I have my students set goals not only for their learning, but for their testing.  I do data days throughout the school year.  It allows me to give them an update on their growth and it allows them to evaluate their growth.

As a class, I have this anchor chart up in my room that gets updated weekly.  Our goal is to improve our personal and class average.  We set our goal at 80%.  Each week, I take time to review our scores.  We talk about what happened from week to week.  For example, in this picture, we did well on a vocabulary test, but this past week, we went down.  So we discuss things that may have changed.  Were the words harder this week?  Did I just guess?  Did I practice my vocabulary?  We also talk about what they can do to help contribute to our class average.


Students really love to watch it get updated.  Notice I always keep our best scores up there so students know that we can do it.

I drew this chart on chart paper and then laminated it.  I change the numbers using a sticky note each week.  You can also use a dry erase marker if you prefer.

For each goal they meet (80% or higher), they earn 5 minutes of extra recess for our "Fun Friday."

How do you hold your students accountable for their learning?

1 comment:

  1. Students need to be held accountable and will be better students/people because of it!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10